Re: SQL programming fundamentals

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:58:36 -0600

Kind of along these lines (which is why I didn't change the subject line), it seems like the theoritical part of design knowledge would be more appropriate for those of us who have "built from the ground up", custom databases. I could be wrong, but I really don't see much need for the theorical knowledge of database design if all somebody is running are pre-packaged systems from Oracle, Peoplesoft, etc. Once the company comes out with a new version, it seems like any customizations would need to be redone all over again. I've never worked on any system using those kind of 'canned apps', so I may be wrong, but that's how I see it. All of the performance improvements people make have very little to do with the theorical design, but how to improve what they're stuck with.

Also, it would be interesting if somebody conducted a poll of how many people have custom databases vs. a canned application, or some percentage of the two, maybe even canned apps with customizations.