Re: SQL programming fundamentals

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:22:30 +0200

I've had several opportunities to privately discuss this topic with Peter, and <shameless plug>two books to express myself on the place I see for theory in practical life</shameless plug>, but I rather see theory as ambient light than a practical guide. What does the theory say about indexing, partitioning, clustering? Nothing, and yet we all know how much it matters - to say nothing of statistics. However, thinking "sets" as Harshan first mentioned is vital (seen not long ago: a 30,000 row table storing a hierarchy, that was traversed by a cursor with a condition involving a call to a function counting the number of descendants of the current row - the aim was to find all leaves. Hum, what about a self outer join to find all leaves at once?), and when, as Michael underlined, the database design is rotten to start with, having an idea of what it should be is more than helpful, unless you are adept at trying hints at random. When a table doesn't respect the first normal form, one of the first thing I check is whether pivoting it inside an inline view to make it *look* in 1st NF wouldn't help. It often does when the table isn't too big and scanning it makes sense. And I have often improved query through logic alone. I don't think that being groomed in Tutorial D is much helpful; but I would feel much better if more developers could read short books such as Date's "Database in Depth" or Pascal's "Practical Issues in Database Management", none of which is very theoretical but which define a convenient framework for thinking. Theory is like grammar; you need some, knowing too little is dangerous (single unique column a sequence-generated ID, anyone?), sometimes you have to violate it, grammar alone will not make you a great writer, and some feel it more instinctively than others.

My EUR 0.02.

S Faroult