Re: Same Query, same database, same application, new plan from one environment but not from another

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:26:56 -0400

All,

I wanted to follow-up on this issue. I've made progress tacking down the problem. The SQL statements being issued by Access and Toad/SQL*Plus are exactly the same. I've confirmed that. I now believe that the change is related to the ODBC driver which was updated a couple of months ago. As it turns out the Oracle ODBC driver has a "work-arounds" tab. One of the work-around's is to treat an Access TIMESTAMP as an Oracle DATE. I believe this was the problem in that the ODBC driver was treating Access TIMESTAMPS as Oracle TIMESTAMPS, a change in this new version of the driver. That caused Oracle to not use a Date index, with nothing good happening after that. What's left to resolve is how an upgrade that occurred in May caused a change in August. One possibility I'm looking at is that the box was rebooted for the first time since the May upgrade immediately before we started seeing the problem.

--

Rumpi Gravenstein

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Sep 01 2008 - 19:26:56 CDT