Re: Same Query, same database, same application, new plan from one environment but not from another

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:26:56 -0400
Message-ID: <>


I wanted to follow-up on this issue. I've made progress tacking down the problem. The SQL statements being issued by Access and Toad/SQL*Plus are exactly the same. I've confirmed that. I now believe that the change is related to the ODBC driver which was updated a couple of months ago. As it turns out the Oracle ODBC driver has a "work-arounds" tab. One of the work-around's is to treat an Access TIMESTAMP as an Oracle DATE. I believe this was the problem in that the ODBC driver was treating Access TIMESTAMPS as Oracle TIMESTAMPS, a change in this new version of the driver. That caused Oracle to not use a Date index, with nothing good happening after that. What's left to resolve is how an upgrade that occurred in May caused a change in August. One possibility I'm looking at is that the box was rebooted for the first time since the May upgrade immediately before we started seeing the problem.


Rumpi Gravenstein

-- Received on Mon Sep 01 2008 - 19:26:56 CDT

Original text of this message