Re: Oracle on Solaris x-86 64 bit

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:19:06 -0700

Though Sun would never admit to it unless an end of life date was established
for the product, I would be asking myself just how much longer X86 Solaris is going to be available.

Without going into a discussion of the relative merits of the OS's, Linux is going to easily outstrip x86 Solaris from a supportability standpoint.

Be prepared for very long waits for Oracle patches and updates.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Keith Moore <> wrote:

> Just learned that our Solaris admins are switching from sparc based Sun
> server
> to x-86 based. I'm not sure what particular models.
> I've warned my management that this is a secondary platform for Oracle
> ( and 11g not yet available) but is there anything besides patch
> and
> bug fix availability that we should be concerned with.
> Thanks
> Keith
> --

Jared Still