Re: Managing schema and database changes

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:57:39 -0700

Hi Matt,

This is (has to be) a joint effort between the app and dba teams. I have used Kintana (previously Apps*Link, now Mercury (HP) ITG) as a tool that can perform and manage the migration workflow very well. Let me know if you need more info. ITG can do all the gatekeeping, controls, etc but be aware there is a cost to procure, install, setup and maintain, and it aint cheap

John

On 8/28/08, Nigel Thomas <nigel.cl.thomas_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Matthew
>
> This has come up several times before on this list. I blogged on
> it,<http://preferisco.blogspot.com/2008/02/schema-version-control.html>referencing
> one such thread, and some other postings, last Feb:
>
> *An outbreak of synchronicity has produced a volley of blogs and questions
> about database version control in the last few days.*
>
> - *Tom Kyte adds <http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2008/02/hear-hear.html> his
> own twist to this story at Coding
> Horror<http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001050.html%20version%20control>
> .*
> - *JAson Hinds asked about database release management
>
> <http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=2315208&#2315208>on
> one of the OTN forums.*
> - *And Syed Jaffar Hussein (the Human
> Fly)<http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/>launched a