Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:08:04 -0400

Where is this post coming from? I did not see any posts on here that said this. I have seen this before. I think it stems from people mis-using triggers. I have seen places where people over use them and have cascading triggers. I think the best use for triggers are to enforce things like what Toon does and for adding primary key counters, and automated create_date fields, etc... I don't think its a good idea to put extensive logic in triggers. Too hard to maintain and its harder to find bugs. I go about as far as Toons goes.

This kind of thing is fairly normal. Your in a shop where people screw up and over use triggers or you read about a stupid use of triggers and then it becomes "triggers are evil". I think they need to be constrained and used in proper ways.