RE: duhveloper comment of the day

From: Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens_at_admworld.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:04:23 -0500

My problem with it is not the realization that triggers can affect data in the database just as dml statements can affect data in the database. My problem is the implication that you have to somehow reset how you look at triggers in order to understand them. Triggers should be viewed as triggers just as motorcycles should be views as motorcycles. No need to view motorcycles as cars. You can view them both as transportation vehicles but a motorcycle is not a car.

You are right, I don't provide enough context. That context makes the statement even more baffling. Trust me.

I don't think I've violated any company policy by reproducing a single sentence from an email that wasn't specific to company happenings anyway and whose participants don't even work for my company but I'm paranoid about that stuff so I won't be going any further.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Powell, Mark D Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:25 AM To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: RE: duhveloper comment of the day

>> Triggers should be viewed as dml, when it comes to inspecting them
like code <<

Chris, I am not so sure the developer is wrong if what the developer is saying is that while a Trigger is technically an object creation statement, that is, DDL triggers often contain significant logic and that logic should be treated more like a program or stored procedure in how the developer approaches developing and debugging the logic. We do not have the benefit of the full reply to place these words in context and I have yet to read the most recent Oracle magazine issue, but just because someone is wrong on a couple of points does not mean that he is wrong on all their points.

  • Mark D Powell -- Phone (313) 592-5148