Column level security

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:47:52 +0530

Hello All:
I was investigating on how to implement column level security and found the new feature in 10g 'Column level security using VPD' and among different links, this is one white paper (page 18 -19 has information on how to implement this feature).
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/database-security/pdf/WhitePaper1169_rraj_srtata.pdf

But instead of displaying nulls for SSN , for example, I want to display 123-456-XXXX (mask the last 4 digits with X).

Is this possible? Is there a way to mask the sensitive information using VPD or some other method.

Thank you

  • Kumar