RE: ORA-12505

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:05:06 -0400

Well, since the problem is restricted to BEA Weblogic, and is intermittent, first thing I'd do is look at the local tnsnames.ora file on your Weblogic server. I assume you have a load balancing connect string, since you're running RAC. If so, are you sure there are no errors? Between client side and server side load balancing, an error where one host/port/service_name in a load balancing connect string is incorrect, and you may not see it immediately, and it could cause intermittent errors like you're reporting....

Just a thought....

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest
789 E. Eisenhower, Parkway, P.O. Box 1346 Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
+1.734.997.4059 or +1.800.521.0600 x 4059<><><>

ProQuest...Start here.

From: [] On Behalf Of A Ebadi Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 3:57 PM
Subject: ORA-12505

We are getting ORA-12505 (TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor) only on BEA Weblogic connections! We are getting this error only once in a while and are not able to reproduce it via sqlplus/toad/other clients. Any suggestions?

Environment: 3-node Oracle RAC ( on Solaris 10 w/ASM).