RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:56:05 -0400

We were discussing this over here, and the big question we came up with is:

"Does this mean that simply raw devices a la old school Red Hat
(/dev/raw/raw1) are desupported, or that all character/non-buffered IO devices are desupported (a la /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 or /dev/sda2 with O_DIRECT)?"   If the former, it's a non-issue for most environments, if it's the latter, it opens up a host of questions around what will be supported. Effectively, it requires that people have a clustered filesystem to use, or somehow Oracle jobbies up ASM such that you can put OCR and voting internally and making ASM a dependency for CRS to run.

[] On Behalf Of dba1 mcc Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:30 PM
To:; Subject: Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

Redhat RHEL 6 will also NOT support raw device.

From: Hemant K Chitale <> Subject: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

For those using Raw Devices (wether for Redo Logs in non-RAC or for

Database Files as well in RAC),

see MetaLink Note#578455.1 "Announcement of De-Support of RAW

devices in Release 12G "

Hemant K Chitale

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a

merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Mohandas Gandhi