Migration:- Solaris 9.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.3

From: David cheyne <david.cheyne_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:15:37 +0100

Hi List,

I'm in the throws of migrating a live system. We are updating our Sun boxes to v445's with Solaris 10 (coming from 8) and at the same time from 9i to 10g. I was wondering about a full import option to move the data, the DB is about 50Gb, so I don't think it's worth dragging it through datapump.

I've imported a single schema (the applications data) into a 10g instance for testing; this worked fine. The main issues are in-house developments based around the live data. Developers have created tables, synonyms, views and database links (coming in from elsewhere) in their own schema, all of which accesses objects in the main schema; so plenty of scope for missing permissions synonyms and of course . . . tantrums! The people have also put tables and packages into the main schema (yes I know!) these again could be an issue, as they tend to access the developers own schema.

SO after all of that mess, I think a one shot FULL import would be easier than trying to pick my way through that little lot. I intend to drop the two application schemas and reuse the already created instance for this.

Does anybody know of issues with full imports from: Solaris 8 - 9.2.0.4 to Solaris 10 - 1.0.2.0.3? Or even problems afterwards. We do have problems importing tables with LOB's in but that is a known issue.

Thanks for reading.

  --

David Cheyne
BA(hons.)