RE: Installation of Oracle client for end users

From: <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:51:28 -0400

The same group that does our software installs does Oracle Client Installs. About 7 years ago (Pre-merger) I wrote the documentation for the group that handled it at the time and provided the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files. I assume someone on the other side of the merger had done the same for the department that currently handles it, but I'm really not sure.

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

[] On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:56 AM
Cc: oracle-db-l; oracle-l-freelists; Subject: Re: Installation of Oracle client for end users

I do both. For most applications I have windows client on shared drive. For few end users/developers, I have client installed on individual PCs.

"Jeffrey Beckstrom" <>
Sent by:

Jul 22 2008 11:45 AM
Please respond to

"oracle-l-freelists" <>, "oracle-db-l"
Installation of Oracle client for end users

Question, how are you rolling out the Oracle client software for your windows end-users.

Are you installing the client software on the local PC and if so how?

Are you running the client software from a shared networked drive?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113