Re: RMAN backup slows database performance to a crawl

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:20:50 -0600

I'm going to preface this with pointing out that I'm not a SAN expert (a fact that will be obvious in a moment). But we had an issue with the company I support where our file systems for datafiles and the file systems for the backups shared write cache. This wasn't cache you could partition due to the age of the technology. So when we had a heavy backup running on one server, performance would suffer on a completely different server. This made troubleshooting very difficult. The problem was that the only option you had was to "opt in" or "opt out" of cache. If we didn't use it, the backups were too slow. If we did use it, the customer was impacted. We found an older Clarion and moved our backups to it. Even though the technology was even older, the write cache was completely separate and both the backups and database performance improved.