RE: RMAN backup slows database performance to a crawl

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:11:55 -0700

Doesn't sound like a bug to me - just sounds like you're saturating your I/O subsystem, but you'd need to look at the throughput you're getting and compare that to the expected throughput based on your disk config to confirm if that's the case or not.

You might want to consider running backups at a time when other activity is minimal and also consider implementing incremental backups with a change tracking file to prevent RMAN from having to scan the entire database for changed blocks. This fairly simple change can easily reduce backup runtimes from hours to minutes.

Regards,
Brandon