Re: TAF and JDBC connections

From: Dan Norris <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:03:45 -0600

Starting with 10g R2, TAF METHOD=BASIC is defined server-side, so what
you have on your client won't matter anyway (server settings override
client ones). Check out DBA_SERVICES and DBMS_SERVICE in the database.

The entry below doesn't define the required TAF parameters like FAILOVER=ON, TYPE=SESSION, METHOD=BASIC. So, if you're using pre-10.2 and this entry, you won't have TAF enabled either.

I know I seem like a broken record, but all this stuff is covered in Jeremy's (excellent) whitepaper at

Bradd Piontek wrote:
Take the entry from (DESCRIPTION   to the end and taek all whitespace and carriage returns out. Then use that as your JDBC URL

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Dba DBA <> wrote:
I have developers connecting to my RAC database with jdbc. I want them to use nodes 3 and 4. I have a TAF tnsnames set up for them as follows:
This is the tnsnames on the server. However, JDBC does not use tnsnames. How do I get them to take advantage of this ?
I can use this locally on my RAC boxes.

so what do I do with jdbc guys?

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node3-vip)(PORT = 1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = node4-vip)(PORT = 1521))

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog:
Linked In: