Re: Unable to del an OS file with special char - need ideas

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:39:26 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:27:25 +0400
> From: "Nadeem M. Khan" <nadeem.m.khan_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Unable to del an OS file with special char - need ideas

> filenames that have characters which cannot be typed. (I'm still to
> figure out how these files get created.)
>
> Regards,
> NMK.
I can think of two cases these files are created: software bugs and typos. These typos need some key combinations. For instance, you press and hold Alt and type numbers on the keypad (NumLock is on) and release Alt, you end up with some Unicode characters. You thought you were typing in a text file or window but you're on command line, or you thought you were typing pure numbers but accidentally hold Alt down.

(This Alt-keypad convention dates back to the original DOS edit.com and still works in DOS edit as well as Notepad and other tools.)

By the way, the -- convention for UNIX commands is important to those working on ASM; "vi -- +asm_xyz_12345.trc" is the easiest way to open these ASM trace files.

Yong Huang