Re: Semi-OT: Thoughts on Flash pages in MetaLink?

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:33:32 -0700

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Rich Jesse <> wrote:

> Just poking around the new-ish Metalink Flash-based design in the SCM area.
> It looks prettier, but the interface seems, well, annoying. Maybe I'm just
> getting old and stuck in my old ways, but I think it's be more difficult to
> use.

Agreed, pretty but impractical.

> It's Flash, so it comes with all the Flash limitations -- can't view in
> many
> browsers (e.g. mobile), breaks browser's "Back" and "History"
> functionality,
> heavier net traffic and local GUIfication makes it slower, etc.

All of the above.

> Also with the Flash page I can only pull up one article at a time.

I responded that this was a serious liability.

Some other concerns:

Searching on document number - I see no way to do that. Plug the ML # into the search bar, and you have to guess which document it actually is.
Bug database? How do you search on that? I didn't see the advanced search. Maybe it's there and I just did not see it.

Jared Still