Solaris zone for production RMAN catalog?

From: Jeffery Thomas <jeffthomas24_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:27:12 -0400

We have a 10.2.0.4 2-node RAC cluster running on Solaris 10. The design is such that we
have a local Solaris zone on one node, where OEM has been installed, and where I have been
told to locate my RMAN catalog.

Ostensibly, this will provide logical separation along with the ability to restore the zone onto other
hardware in the case of a failure. From a D/R POV, I do not like the idea, but I admit that
I don't have the experience with, or knowledge of Solaris zones to knock down the proposal.

My instinct and limited understanding is that a zone does not provide as much insulation from being
a SPOF as we have been led to believe. It's hard to have any degree of confidence when during failover
testing CRS rebooted the box and took down both the global and local zones. I don't know if that
is a flaw in how we built the zones, or simply a limitation in Solaris zones itself.

So the question is, for those using zones more extensively - would you put a production RMAN catalog
on a zone local to the hardware where the production database resides?

Thanks,
Jeff