Re: differences in v$OSSSTAT based on OS

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:09:44 +0100

I can't comment on the specifics - don't know HPUX but certainly the available metrics in V$OSSTAT do vary by os - take a look at windows and you'll get a different set. I'd imagine that the behaviour is expected - there may even be a note on metalink with what you get on each platform.

Niall

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Milen Kulev <makulev_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello Listers,
> I have noticed that v$OSSSTAT is giving me very different set od statistics
> depending on the OS where it is issued (HPUX 11.11 und Suse Linux 9.3 in
> this case):
> The results :
> 1) On Linux
> select * from V$osstat ;
>
> STAT_NAME VALUE
> OSSTAT_ID
> ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
> ----------
> NUM_CPUS 16
> 0
> IDLE_TIME 1167934008
> 1
> BUSY_TIME 79554670
> 2
> USER_TIME 59414548
> 3
> SYS_TIME 14861968
> 4
> IOWAIT_TIME 2908619
> 5
> NICE_TIME 17964
> 6
> RSRC_MGR_CPU_WAIT_TIME 0
> 14
> LOAD 3.44921875
> 15
> NUM_CPU_SOCKETS 4
> 17
> PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES 31821768
> 1008
>

> 2) On HPUX
> select * from V$osstat ;
>
> STAT_NAME VALUE
> OSSTAT_ID
> ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
> ----------
> NUM_CPUS 16
> 0
> IDLE_TIME 779115767
> 1
> BUSY_TIME 63454316
> 2
> USER_TIME 40541593
> 3
> SYS_TIME 22912723
> 4
> IOWAIT_TIME 47127545
> 5
> AVG_IDLE_TIME 48679516
> 7
> AVG_BUSY_TIME 3950719
> 8
> AVG_USER_TIME 2518658
> 9
> AVG_SYS_TIME 1416836
> 10
> AVG_IOWAIT_TIME 2930331
> 11
> OS_CPU_WAIT_TIME 4.2290E+12
> 13
> RSRC_MGR_CPU_WAIT_TIME 0
> 14
> LOAD .155273438
> 15
> PHYSICAL_MEMORY_BYTES 6.8683E+10
> 1008
> VM_IN_BYTES 939913216
> 1009
> VM_OUT_BYTES 0
> 1010
>

> I am especially interested in OS_CPU_WAIT_TIME and AVG_IOWAIT_TIME, but I
> [...]

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info