Checkpoint locks

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:59:26 -0500

While trying to startup application servers, we found out that the application servers were hanging. I checked what was going on in the database and saw a bunch of locks:

SQL> select * from dba_waiters;

more..

WAITING_SESSION HOLDING_SESSION LOCK_TYPE                  MODE_HELD

--------------- --------------- --------------------------
MODE_REQUESTED LOCK_ID1 LOCK_ID2
---------------------------------------- ---------- ----------
1066 1100 KO Row-S (SS) Exclusive 65557 1 1061 1100 KO Row-S (SS) Exclusive 65549 1 1078 1100 KO Row-S (SS) Exclusive 65558 1 1077 1100 KO Row-S (SS) Exclusive 65559 1

Turned out, those locks were waiting on Checkpoint:

SQL> select sid, serial#, program, client_info, logon_time, status   2 from v$session
  3 where sid = 1100;
more..

       SID SERIAL# PROGRAM
---------- ---------- ------------------------------------------------

CLIENT_INFO                                                      LOGON_TIM
STATUS

      1100          1 oracle_at_xxxd01 (CKPT)
                                                                 16-JUN-08
ACTIVE At this point I realized that I had forgotten to create tempfiles and did it. Once temp files were created
the app servers started and we were able to connect. This happened just after we cloned our prod to test and when trying to app servers. Oracle 10.2.

Would checkpoint process need any space for sorting? I thought its job was to flush the buffers to the data files.

Thanks.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Jun 16 2008 - 14:59:26 CDT

Original text of this message