GLOBAL_NAMES parameter for streams

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 11:07:49 -0400

Folks,
Is it absolutely necessary to set the GLOBAL_NAMES parameter to TRUE for databases that participate in streams? If I set this parameter to FALSE but make sure that the db links are always named after the target database name, would there be any issue with this approach? I just spoke with Oracle and their duty manager told me that it may work fine but that it would not be supported, an argument that I am a little hesitant to buy.

This is kina urgent, so I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks
Amir