RE: Getting error ORA-00904 invalid identified

From: Goulet, Dick <richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:57:23 -0400

I once had a discussion with an MS Certified application developer
(consultant) about this as it is counter to the ANSI SQL standard which
does state that all names should be stored in upper case, but referenced in either case. His reply, somewhat expected. Was that this was not Bill Gates approved and that their standard was to store names in whatever case they were submitted in and that names should be enclosed in double quotes because that was the ANSI C standard way. I seriously hope that whoever controls the afterlife has a special place to torture that man for how far back he has pushed the computer industry.

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com Fax: 508.229.2019 / Email: richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com 45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:36 PM
To: sbecker6925_at_gmail.com; 'oracle-l'
Subject: RE: Getting error ORA-00904 invalid identified

Jared's documentation of the full error text and Tim's message of an easy way to get the details make total sense.

A cheap shot in deference to the proclivity of Windows folks to use camel case inside double quotes is to check for that or even all lowercase inside double quotes as an easy way to ask for columns that do not exist - unless of course the columns were obtusely created in mixed case or lowercase in the like manner.

(But that is sort of like a guess.)

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 12:06 PM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Getting error ORA-00904 invalid identified

SLES10, Oracle 10.2.0.3 on IBMz9, app server is Dell RHEL4, 9i client
(32 bit server), report server Windows/SQL Server 2000

We are trying to test our application against a production size 10g database. The actual production database is still 9i and will NOT be upgraded to 10g. Most of the application works very well. We do have some reports that are throwing the ORA-00904 invalid identifier error and I haven't been able to find anything on MetaLink that is of any value yet. I did just find out that the reports are running on a Windows server pulling the data into SQL Server and doing the processing there before returning the results back to the application.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can look for this? The developer who manages the Windows/SQL Server side of things insists it's the 10g database and not his side of the house and I have no way to prove/disprove his assertion.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Sandy