Re: Getting error ORA-00904 invalid identified

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:36:03 -0600

Sandra,

Activate a SQL trace (any level) against a database session prior to running this report, and then examine the "raw" trace file for the presence of a line that looks like:

     PARSE ERROR #n: .... err=904

Search in particular for the phrase "err=<err-number>" (i.e. "err=904") and, in the case of a parsing error like ORA-00904, the SQL statement text should appear right after it. In other cases, where the error is occuring subsequent to successful parsing, you might instead see a line like:

     ERROR #n: err=NNN, ...

where "NNN" is the non-leading-zero value of the Oracle error number (i.e. "904" or "942" instead of "00904" or "00942") and "n" is the cursor number, and in this case you might have to search backwards through the file for the phrase "PARSING IN CURSOR #n" to find the SQL text.

I have an AFTER LOGON database-event trigger called "tracetrg.sql" online on my website (http://www.EvDBT.com/tools.htm), in case it is difficult to initiate a SQL trace directly through whatever reporting tool you are using. Just create the trigger, disable it immediately, then work with the developer to re-enable it just before he/she starts their session, then disable or drop the trigger after the session is started and you confirm that you see the ".trc" file in the USER_DUMP_DEST directory.

Hope this helps...

-Tim