Re: replication question

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:29:44 -0500

Jeremy,

There is one issue I haven't heard mentioned directly. Can data be changed at both sites? Are there logical ways to separate the data between sites? With any replication method, there is usually a way for things to get hosed up. If people at both sites can make changes to the same piece of data, it is much more difficult to straighten out problems when they occur, than if most of the data is logically separate. The best resource I found is a book named Data Replication by Marie Buretta. It isn't directly related to Oracle, but it asks an incredible number of questions, most of which won't apply to your situation, but it helps ensure you don't overlook something critical. Success in these situations usually relate more to people than technology.

Dennis Williams