Re: does oracle use block level locking with RAC?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:54:58 -0700

Oracle always does a row level locking for transactions. However in RAC, the buffers are locked(!) at block level and the transactions are locked at row level. The lowest granule of locking for an instance is a buffer (block) and with in a block it is a row. So in RAC the locking is a combination of buffer level locks and row level locks .

BTW the above is way above over simplification. But may give an overall picture.

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Rick Ricky <> wrote:
> I saw on a board somewhere that someone is having deadlock issues due to
> block level locking with Oracle RAC? I thought Oracle always did row level
> locking on everything? Could this be a mis-perception with something else?

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan
Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface, Oracle Press 2004

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006