Re: does oracle use block level locking with RAC?

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:54:58 -0700

Ricky,

Oracle always does a row level locking for transactions. However in RAC, the buffers are locked(!) at block level and the transactions are locked at row level. The lowest granule of locking for an instance is a buffer (block) and with in a block it is a row. So in RAC the locking is a combination of buffer level locks and row level locks .

BTW the above is way above over simplification. But may give an overall picture.

-Gopal

--
Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan