local naming vs directory naming

From: Li Li <litanli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:39:01 -0500

Hi List,

Anybody using directory naming here?

We have about 30 databases and use local naming and most clients are configured to share 1 tnsnames.ora file on a shared file server. I was tasked to look into directory naming to see if we need to implement it. I have spent some time reading "Oracle(R) Database Net Services Administrator's Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2)" and got a few questions:

  1. with around 30 databases, is it worth implementing directory naming?
  2. We use Active Directory and majority of our database servers are on Unix/Linux, based on the above document, we cannot use Active Directory, instead we have to use OID. If we do implement directory naming, do we need to synchronize AD and OID? if so, how?
  3. In directory naming, you specify NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(ldap) in sqlnet.ora file, how does the client find where the directory server is?

Any help or pointing me to the correct document to read would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Li
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu May 08 2008 - 10:39:01 CDT