Re: limited DBA privileges

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:59:10 +0100

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> You don't necessarily need someone with a lot of Oracle skills to be the
> "guy in charge" of who can see what data. Database vault comes with a GUI
> that is rather easy to use, and can be used by virtually anyone to enable /
> disable access to certain tables, once a the groundworks have been laid and
> the setup is complete.

You *will* need someone who understands what a schema is, what the difference between ALTER TABLE and ALTER VIEW for example, who understands what the schema objects are and what the columns are, can write a bit of PL/SQL to create factor functions if necessary and so on.

My core point though is that whoever the dv admin is, they shouldn't be in the same reporting line as the IT team. They should really be in the "Business" but they do need to have a working knowledge of Oracle server technology. Allowing the DBA or similar to setup dv would be a somewhat fatal breach of the idea. I agree with the version recommendation though (11g would be as good or better).

cheers

Niall