Re: limited DBA privileges

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 19:27:07 +0200

Mark

As Niall suggested, you can do just that with database vault -- a new enterprise edition option introduced with 10.2.0.2

I would however suggest that you upgrade to 10.2.0.4 before attempting to use it, as some critical security bugs have been fixed in that release.

You don't necessarily need someone with a lot of Oracle skills to be the "guy in charge" of who can see what data. Database vault comes with a GUI that is rather easy to use, and can be used by virtually anyone to enable / disable access to certain tables, once a the groundworks have been laid and the setup is complete.

Of course, a typical DBA will also have to install patches on a database and stuff like that, and database vault cannot protect you against the operating system oracle user (the software owner to be more specific).

Furthermore, there just is nothing else out there that allows you to implement something like this. As soon as you're giving away "ANY"-privileges, you're giving away your data. And a DBA won't be able to do much without having been granted system privileges.

Cheers

Stefan

--
=========================