Re: Guaranteed Flashback Table

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:22:14 -0700 (PDT)

11g makes this much easier .... :-) You can define a flashback archive that is set to time x, assign that archive to a tablespace, assign the table to that archive and you will have guaranteed retention of x for that table. Very cool feature.

All in my 11g New Features book. I thought I did a blog entry on this but can't find it. Guess I will be adding that in the next couple of days!!

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Charlotte Hammond <> To: Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:01:52 PM Subject: Guaranteed Flashback Table

Hi All,

I'd like to have the option to flashback a few large-ish tables (NOT the whole database) to the start of a complex data manipulation operation. However I have no idea how long this operation will take so I have to set UNDO_RETENTION to a big value just to be sure. I'd prefer to be able to define a point at the start of the operation, and say "keep enough undo to go back here". Is there any such mechanism? (Only thing I could think of was to keep dynamically cranking up UNDO_RETENTION as the operation proceeds but that seems really messy).

I'll probably just stick with the tried and trusted CTAS "backup" of the tables before I start but just wanted to check that I'm not missing out on something that could save me time and space.

Any suggestions welcome - thanks!

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ