Guaranteed Flashback Table

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:01:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I'd like to have the option to flashback a few large-ish tables (NOT the whole database) to the start of a complex data manipulation operation. However I have no idea how long this operation will take so I have to set UNDO_RETENTION to a big value just to be sure. I'd prefer to be able to define a point at the start of the operation, and say "keep enough undo to go back here". Is there any such mechanism? (Only thing I could think of was to keep dynamically cranking up UNDO_RETENTION as the operation proceeds but that seems really messy).

I'll probably just stick with the tried and trusted CTAS "backup" of the tables before I start but just wanted to check that I'm not missing out on something that could save me time and space.

Any suggestions welcome - thanks!
Charlotte

Be a better friend, newshound, and