Re: Manual DB creation in 11g for APEX 3.1

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:01:15 -0700 (PDT)

Yep, APEX is installed as a part of 11g. It's possible that you might have broken something if you installed an older version. I doubt it, but it's possible. You might start with a fresh 11g install first.

The instructions on setting up the embedded gateway are a bit confusing for a first timer. Did
you check that the HTTP port is enabled with DBMS_XDB.GETHTTPPORT? You might need to enable the port if you have not already. Check the APEX users guide and the 11g Database Install guide for more information on this.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

  • Original Message ---- From: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> To: rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:04:12 PM Subject: Re: Manual DB creation in 11g for APEX 3.1

I found eventually that APEX was already included in my install. Not in office so cant check versions etc

On 29/04/2008, Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com> wrote: Hey all,

The subject about says it all. I'm attempting to fire up a test APEX 3.1 w/the embedded PL/SQL gateway on a manually created 11.1.0.6.0 DB in x86 Linux.

As per the prereqs in the APEX install docs, I've installed JVM, XDB, and Text, using the 10gR2 instructions found on Metalink since I could not locate any specifically for 11g. I also verified that PL/SQL Web Toolkit is installed and meets the version requirement.

After setting the port to 8080, I see that it appears to be registered with the Listener. However, trying to surf to port 8080 ends up with a "connection was reset" error. I've attempted to bounce the instance, listener, and reinstalling APEX to no avail. "netstat -l" confirms that the listener is using port 8080.

For a huge caveat, I'm attempting this on a new build of Gentoo. However, even if this was on EL5, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I couldn't find any pertinent log files in the $ORACLE_BASE tree, including the diags directory -- are there any? I'd like to troubleshoot this instead of the Windowsesque option of reinstalling, this time using <GROAN> DBCA to see if my manual creation is the issue.

Thoughts anyone?
Rich

p.s. Almost done (*finally!*) with my step-by-step instructions to manually install 10gR2 replicated OID. Maybe even this week!

Howard A. Latham

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Apr 30 2008 - 14:01:15 CDT

Original text of this message