limited DBA privileges

From: Cochran, Mark <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:27:15 -0400

As part of a company-wide security initiative, I've been tasked with coming up an implementation of limited DBA privileges. Specifically, a set of database privileges that allow a user with these privileges to maintain the database (e.g., add/resize datafiles; create and modify tablespaces; create, alter and move tables; create, alter and rebuild indexes; query the data dictionary), while restricting that user from querying sensitive data in specific tables (e.g., credit card data). Has anyone encountered such a requirement before? Any suggestions? Can you point me toward any examples of how to create such a role?

Using Oracle Enterprise Version, we plan on keeping up with the latest security patches.

Mark Cochran
Oracle DBA, Staples, Inc.