Re: Oracle out the door

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:47:50 +0300

Following ideas comes to mind:
1) Have you/your company considered other editions than EE? I.e. SE, SE One, trying to get discounts, optimizing (e.g. throwing several apps on the same boxes) environments?
2) Have you/your company calculated all other costs connected with database change i.e. staff skills, possibility to rebuild applications totally from scratch, possibility to have various kind of problems because of lack of knowledge and migration to other DBMSes? A while ago I've summarized a few criteria for choosing DBMS and the main message I'd like to offer is - as probably everyone knows - the cost of DB is not the same as the cost of DBMS licence. In case anyone is interested the article is here http://gplivna.eu/papers/choose_database.htm

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu