Re: Few questions about statistics

From: Luis Fernando Cerri <lfcerri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:42:08 -0300

Hi, Pavuls.

IMHO, 'up-to-date statistics' and 'missing relevant statistics' are different concepts with different solutions, but both can lead to performance problems.

If the statistics information available in data dictionary for CBO (how to check them:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/stats.htm#31058) reflect the reality of application data or differ from it less than (let me say*) 10%, as a rule o thumb we can say that you have up-to-date statistics. Until now, you don't know if you are missing relevant statistics or not.

If your application data statistics are up-to-date and you are experiencing performance problems, then probably you are missing important statistics for CBO to estimate the lower-cost access plan AND/OR your database optimizer-related parameters are needing to be fine-tuned. To understand how both these situations can impact your environment I suggest you to read the 1st chapter of Performance Guide and Reference book available at
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/optimops.htm#721.

Hope it helps you a little.

Regards,
Cerri