Re: More on Oracle Support

From: Mark Strickland <>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:03:31 -0700

At my last job, I and my co-DBA upgraded a 3-node RAC environment from to What we expected to take around 5 hours took 30 hours and we went through three support analysts around the globe until we reached the one who got us back in business. He was in Australia, I believe. What happened was that there was a non-fatal firewall rule problem that was forgiven in, but gave a hairball. We couldn't keep the RAC instances up for more than an hour or so and it wasn't at all clear what was happening. The take home lessons were: 1) Know the various logs and trace files VERY well; 2) Know how to turn up trace in every way possible; and 3) ESCALATE ESCALATE ESCALATE.

Mark Strickland