RE: flush shared_pool and query performance

From: <>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:18:57 -0500

Thanks, Brandon. I was doing that as a test to see what is an effect of the hard parsing. I did not expect it
to be as significant

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "Allen, Brandon"
             04/03/2008 05:14          <>
                                       RE: flush shared_pool and query

Yes, I would say .3 seconds is reasonable for a hard parse - that's why we have the shared pool and bind variables to minimize hard parsing. Parse time depends on many things such as the complexity of the query, number of tables joined, optimizer_max_permutations, contention for latches, parsing and IO required for recursive queries on the DD, etc. You might want to try restricting optimizer_max_permutations, especially if you're in pre-9i where it used to default to 80,000 I believe. Maybe check if you're doing dynamic sampling also.