Re: RMAN Restore with Incremental

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robert,

You're right on two counts: I'm not using block change tracking, and yes, 409400 does contain all the datafiles. However it's only about 70% of the size of the full backup set (both are compressed backupsets). When would an incremental backup backup the entire database (except if every single block has changed, which would seem unlikely) - does it switch to do a full backup if X% of blocks have changed?

Thanks
Charlotte

  • Original Message ---- From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com> To: charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:08:03 PM Subject: Re: RMAN Restore with Incremental

Sometimes an incremental backup will end up backing up the entire database. This is particularly true if you are not using a block change tracking file. In fact, if you are using retention criteria and the FRA you might well see the base level 0 GO AWAY because, according to the retention criteria, it is really no longer needed.

List the details of your 409400 backup contents. I bet you find all the datafiles in it.

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Apr 03 2008 - 08:29:12 CDT