Re: General Instance Performance Monitoring

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 15:08:15 -0700

 AWR report is slightly better which makes sense but not that much better considering the price, but if you paid the Diag pack for AWR report then you have access to so much more such at the AWR tables themselves which are great but more importantly, ASH and OEM 10g. I of course like OEM 10g having designed the perf screens with John Beresniewicz, Graham Wood, Gaja etc so there's a lot of good suff there. If you like scripts and not graphics then you can run @?/rdbms/admin/ashrpt.sql - a very powerful analysis of ASH, ie of session states not aggregated watered down statistics. Of course AWR report brings in a little of this value but not nearly as much as you can get with ASHRPT and you can also run your own queries on ASH and define any period of time during the past week from a few seconds wide to hours wide - you are not limited to snapshot ids. I've got some ash queries on
http://www.perfvision.com/ashscripts.php plus look forward to a possible collaboration between Graham, JB and I on http://ashmasters.com
where we'll be hosting interesting queries on ASH - ASH is the future!