Multiple listeners (9i/10g) on Windows

From: Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:36:05 +0000

Hi,

I have a requirement to create a couple of 10g instances on a Win 2003 server.

There is already an existing 9i installation and instance, which is supposed to be available while I'm doing my stuff.

I have installed 10g.

My issue is the listener for 10g. I believe it would be best to use the 10g listener for all the instances on this machine, however, to cause as little disruption as possible, the decision has been made to use the 9i listener for the 9i home, likewise (10g listener) for the 10g home, different ports of course.

I have searched Metalink and come up with notes: 151812.1 and 232010.1, which refer to version 9i, 8i and 7.

My question is, do I need to create the new listener prior to creating the databases? I believe I do. I'm aware of the local_listener init.ora entry. Do I need it? Any gotchas? I don't think the users would be amused if there was disruption to their access to the 9i instance.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

++
"In matters of principle, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current." -- Thomas Jefferson
++