Re: General Instance Performance Monitoring

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:11:44 -0700

John,

> What is the best tool to use for general instance performance monitoring:
> statspack or awr? It seems that these both tools produce nearly identical

There are many differences: Cost for one. As per the doc, you will need a license to even view the AWR related data via SQL. However, it does seem that STATSPACK on 10g does this without cost. STATSPACK does suffer from issues it always had: It is not configued out of the box, you need to maintain it, and the biggest one: STATSPACK collects Top SQL by scanning V$SQL based on out of box limits, so depending on these limits and the state of SQL in the shared pool, it might miss some SQL that did create the issue during the period of interest. (It does report the difference in stats for the captured SQL).

OTOH, STATSPACK in 10g does capture and report certain stats that AWR does not. (I will be talking about this - among other stuff - at COLLAB 08). For e.g. SP reports the Host and Instance CPU stats, as well as File, Temp File and Event Histograms. Details in my paper...

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc