RE: swap space for Oracle 10

From: Roberts, David \(GSD - UK\) <david.h.roberts_at_logica.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:01:23 -0000

Some flavors of Unix run executables from the swap area. I.e. part of the process of running the executable will involve copying the executable to the swap area and then running the image from there.

If this is the case for AIX, if you only have 2 GB of swap then some of your 4 GB of RAM will never be used.

Even if this is not the case, the swap area can be used for other things like kernel dumps etc.

Thus I would tend to recommend 4 GB as an absolute minimum.

David Roberts
Senior Developer

Logica - Releasing your potential
2 Trinity Park
Bickenhill lane
Birmingham
B37 7ES
United Kingdom
www.logica.com

Logica UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968) Registered office: Stephenson House, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL, United Kingdom