create a view with parallel hint

From: Tony Adolph <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:41:25 +1300

Hi folks,

After some tuning I went back to the developer and recommended a new super version, slightly changed and including a full and a parallel hint. The new query runs in 5 mins vs 68mins for the old, so a result.

The problem I have is that query is generated by Crystal Reports. Currently we don't know how we can include the hints in the report (the developer is looking into this as I type).

To work around this problem I created a view that includes the hints, and then changed the main query to use the query instead of the original table.

Something like this....

create or replace view EVENT_T_parallel_historic as select * /*+ full(eph) parallel(eph,8) */ from

then reference EVENT_T_parallel_historic in the main query.

But,... when I run the query, the hints are ignored.

Can hints be used within views in this manner, and/or am I doing something wrong here?

Any pointers appreciated.

PS: Oracle