Re: Rebooted servers and then ASM does not bring up

From: fairlie rego <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:16:00 +1100 (EST)

Well I didn't. The NAS is required to store files which cannot be stored in ASM and why not have a copy if you can (and have the money to) rather than take a chance with an ASM meta data corruption which can corrupt your entire DB?

Hemant K Chitale <> wrote:

"To avoid these single point of failure we hold a second copy of the database on a NAS mountpoint."

eh ?

So you still had to go out and buy that expensive NAS appliance, because ASM might corrupt the database !

Hemant K Chitale

At 03:58 PM Wednesday, fairlie rego wrote:
>Coincidentally it was the FRA (FLASH_DG) in my case too. Also the
>customer who initially hit the problem for which the bug was logged
>also had the corruption in their FRA. So I did what you did and just
>lost some archivelogs, some flashback logs and the BCT file. You
>have to re-create the diskgroup (unless someone from Support can use
>kfed to repair the corruption)
>But I have had other corruptions in the DATA_DG (the diskgroup
>holding the entire database) in which a restore and recover is the
>only option assuming you cannot switch to a copy in the FRA.
>To avoid these single point of failure we hold a second copy of the
>database on a NAS mountpoint.

Hemant K Chitale

          Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant