Re: Using parallel query on range partitioned table

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:59:56 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

> I am trying to use parallel hint for the following query that uses a
> range partitioned table/local index.

> - can I make use of parallel query where partition pruning occurs but it
> makes use of index range scan on the relevant partitions

Yes, you ought to use PARALLEL_INDEX hint, see http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_URL?remark=drilldown&urlname=http:%2F%2Fdownload.oracle.com%2Fdocs%2Fcd%2FB10501_01%2Fserver.920%2Fa96533%2Fhintsref.htm%237420 It opens a separate index range scan per partition. Consider that two preconditions should be fulfilled to deploy this access path
a) the index range scan is the optimal access path b) the number of records in the range in each partition is big enough to compensate the overhead of parallel processing

Regards,

Jaromir D.B. Nemec