Re: Data Guard Archived Log Transport Question

From: Carel-Jan Engel <careljan_at_dbalert.eu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:47:18 +0100

If you're on 8i (Solaris, HP/UX, AIX) Oracle Data Guard 3.x for 8.1.7.3 will compress by default. Then we talk archived redo log.

If you're on any other version < 11g, you're stuck: no (oracle) compression. ssh can help there, but if you use SYNC redo transport (CPU)cost is high, compression rate low. BTW, from 9.0 onwards I think you mean redo transport, not archived redo. Most Data Guard implemementations like to have their redo at the standby earlier than at log switch time.

If you're on 11g: Only compression for gap resolution is available (at a penalty of 25% more license fee on top of EE). ARCH transport is obsolete in 11g. All Data Guard redo transport is configured using LGWR and its slaves. ARCH only kicks in when gaps have to be resolved.

For compression you're better off with HW compression (talk to your network guys, to extend the switches).

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===