duplexing RMAN backups (FRA)

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:05:44 -0500

We're starting to use the FRA (under ASM) for RMAN backups of 10.2.0.x databases, and need to duplicate this to a landing area on a cooked filesystem which can be swept to tape. I realize this isn't an ideal situation, and we have plans underway to replace the latter portion with a virtual tape library accessible to RMAN, but unfortunately have to work within the existing infrastructure for at least the next several months. Here's my current understanding of the situation:

  1. Since no format can be configured/specified for FRA-managed backups, it's not possible to duplex them directly.
  2. The "backup recovery area" command doesn't allow disk-based destinations.
  3. The "backup backupset" command can be used to copy backupsets from FRA to the landing area, but only allows for a time-based specification or the inclusion of ALL items.

Is there any way to convince RMAN to copy only the most recent, non-duplexed backupsets? Are there any other options which I've overlooked?

Thanx!

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.