Re: Data Dictionary Hit Ratio - myth or fact?

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:10:10 -0500

It probably will recommend SSD, after all the people putting forward the money for the site are in the business of making solid state disks. However, it will not recommend SSD as the only the solution to problems, it will typically identify multiple items to look at, including memory settings, init.ora settings (cursor_sharing, optimizer_index_cost_adj), keep_pool settings, and pinning packages in the shared pool.

And by the way, if I could afford SSD for all my instances, not to mention my laptop, I would buy it. Even now, if I could convince the boss, I would look real hard at getting SSD for a few key tables, maybe 100G total. It would definitely help matters. The price/Gig per SSD is dropping quickly. I understand that at least in Japan, laptops with SSD instead of traditional spinning Hard drives are already available. Unfortunately, my budget doesnt extend to that type of laptop currently.

Andrew W. Kerber