RE: datafiles on NFS?

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:06:06 +0100

In this respect it is maybe interesting to note that it is not the netapp itself that has been certified by oracle, but the ontap operating system that runs on the netapp. This means that you can use the netapp simulator as storage device.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Zito Sent: dinsdag 11 maart 2008 21:16
To: Elliott, Patrick; spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: RE: datafiles on NFS?

We've tried a few of the UNIX NFS implementations with Linux RAC, with the following results:
- Linux NFS Server - CRS fails to start

  • Solaris NFS Server - CRS starts, however Oracle does not seem to want to run (we did only nominal testing here, so there could potentially be a scenario where it works)
  • OS X Server - Yes, a Mac NFS server seems to work fine for RAC, should you (oddly) happen to have one running around your datacenter.

I know some people have reported success using some vanilla NFS implementations with standalone - iirc, the CRS does some basic NFS sanity checking by trying to open the voting disk with a variety of different flags, and if any of them fail, it promptly shuts itself down. This was a couple of years ago, though, so it could easily have changed. As always, YMMV.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito
Chief Scientist