RE: Automatic Storage Management (ASM) - Survey

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:29:54 -0700

  1. Do you use ASM? YES

Complete the following when you say YES to the above question:

2. Which OS             -  SOLARIS
3. Do you use ASM for a single instance? NO but considered using it for VLDB
4. Have you ever performed the migration? YES
5. Which redundancy option have you used?  External
6. Do you think the Oracle document about ASM is sufficient enough? Yes and
a lot of articles and while papers in technet and by Vendors 7. Do you think a seaprate ASM administratore is required to manage ASM instance? Typically not
8. Do you think ASM is very much stable? YES 9. Do you recommend ASM? YES
10. Do you think managing ASM is very easy? YES

One aspect missing above is Flexibility/Versatility: For example, I have moved data between storage types using ASM, online. I suppose you could do that with File Systems as well (example Veritas mirrored plexes), but nevertheless, a nice feature.

I had written in an email thread on this topic a while ago. The biggest shift is that part of storage administration (volume/fs management) moves from SA to DBA to that extent it requires the DBA, SA, and Storage Admin (if one is present) to work together.

Regards,

-Krish

Krish Hariharan

President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC

http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb