Re: Automatic Storage Management (ASM) - Survey

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:02:18 +0200

see inside.

Syed Jaffar Hussain wrote:

> 1. Do you use ASM? YES
> 2. Which OS - LINUX & Windows
> 3. Do you use ASM for a single instance? YES
> 4. Have you ever performed the migration? non-ASM to ASM? NO.
> 5. Which redundancy option have you used? External - EMC
> 6. Do you think the Oracle document about ASM is sufficient enough? Okay
> 7. Do you think a seaprate ASM administratore is required to manage
> ASM instance? NO
> 8. Do you think ASM is very much stable? YES
> 9. Do you recommend ASM? YES
> 10. Do you think managing ASM is very easy? YES.
>
> Appreciate if you can throw sme inputs from your experience.
Starting with 10.2 we put all our new DB on ASM. That include a few TB DWH, and other critical systems. There is some downsize due to the fact that the OS does not know whats inside:
1) Tivoli from IBM can not monitor that space inside the volumes assigned to ASM, so we have to develop our own scripts for this. 2) Tivoli TSM (backup to tape) can not backup the files.

As hands on dba, who mostly learn what he needs to operate that piece of machinery, I started to use ASM without much investment.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel